Southlands Venture is an exciting initiative that helps students help others using their own ideas.
Southlands Venture aims to empower students to deliver a project of their choice, within the community. Whether they organise an event, coordinate a campaign, or manage an ongoing project, Southlands Venture helps them achieve their goals while they build their skill set and gain valuable experience.
Students on Southlands Venture projects are provided with an experienced mentor, guidance, and financial support up to £500. Students coordinate their projects and those who volunteer to help them. They are also required to provide feedback about their experience in a creative way, through producing an article, video or presentation.
Past projects have included:
- ‘Water is Free’ campaign, which promoted the use of tap water over buying bottled water
- Accompaniment of the elderly to grow vegetables in a community allotment
- Organising an auction event to raise money for a charity supporting orphans
- Building a roof for the chicken house on campus
Project proposal criteria
Projects need to meet the following criteria:
- Have an element involving the community (university or local area), volunteering or campaigns.
- Involve other people beyond the project organiser
- Be completed within a 12-week time frame
For more information, contact Southlands Venture here.